Expand All
What You Need to Know

Marathon Petroleum offers educational reimbursement benefits to encourage self-development by providing financial assistance for certain education-related expenses. This benefit is intended to encourage professionalism and assist you in increasing effectiveness in your current position, preparing you for possible advancement, and/or increasing your adaptability to new ideas and change.

The Educational Reimbursement Plan offers financial assistance for two types of education-related expenses:

  1. Tuition reimbursement for courses under an approved degree program or single courses outside a degree program, and
  2. Certification and Licensing (C&L) reimbursement for an approved licensing or professional certification program.
Annual Maximum

Upon successful completion of an approved course, the Company will reimburse eligible expenses, including tuition, textbooks, supplies, and required fees subject to an annual maximum reimbursement of $5,250 for an undergraduate program or $9,000 for a graduate program.

Reimbursements up to $5,250 per calendar year are considered non-taxable income. Reimbursements in excess of this amount (if applicable) are generally taxable -subject to tax withholding. The $5,250 annual limit is an IRS limit and is subject to change based on IRS guidelines.


You are eligible for the Educational Reimbursement Plan (the “Plan”) if you are a regular full-time or regular part-time employee both at the time of enrollment in the course and at the time the course is completed. (Courses that begin prior to your MPC employment date are not eligible for reimbursement.)

In order to qualify for benefits under this Plan, you must have been in your position a reasonable amount of time to allow pursuit of further education or licensing without impacting your job performance, and your course/program schedule should not conflict with your regular work schedule

All Degree Programs, Non-degree courses, and C&L programs must be approved in advance by your Manager/Supervisor and your local Human Resources Business Partner (“HRBP”); you should obtain approval prior to enrolling for a course or certification or licensing program.

Tuition Assistance (Courses under a Degree Program and Non-Degree Courses)

In order to be eligible for tuition assistance, a Degree Program or course:

  • The degree is consistent with the employee’s ability, potential, and scholastic background or a reasonable chance exists for the employee to use the acquired knowledge.
  • The degree is reasonably applicable to the work the employee is doing or for which the employee might be reasonably expected to be qualified to do.
  • The required curriculum leading to the degree and the number of hours to be completed is appropriate.
  • The degree is in a field of interest to the Company and a reasonable chance exists for the Company to derive some benefit from it.

Eligible Courses:

  1. Formal college-credit courses offered by an accredited college or university.
  2. Online courses offered by an accredited college or university.
  3. Non-degree courses offered by an accredited institution, including colleges or universities.
    1. A non-degree course is a course offered by a college or university that an employee takes on an individual or stand-alone basis, not as part of a specific Degree Program.
  4. Private, business, or technical school courses. Before approving such courses, the Manager/Supervisor should evaluate the school’s standards and determine if costs are compatible with the level of training received.
  5. Required general-education courses within a curriculum that lead to a degree in a field of interest to the Company, even though these courses are not specifically job-related (i.e., religion or art courses).
  6. Employees assessed tuition while conducting thesis research after all other coursework has been completed will be reimbursed subject to the following:
    1. Master’s Thesis: Reimbursement will be considered for the first two semesters or first three quarters of thesis research only.
    2. All tuition related to a thesis will be reimbursed based on the tuition guidelines in effect at time of payment.
  7. An employee must be active both at the time the course commences and at the time of reimbursement. A course will ordinarily be considered to commence on the “term start date for any course that is offered during a regular academic term at an educational institution.

Eligible Expenses:

For approved undergraduate and graduate college courses, tuition expenses, required textbooks, supplies and required fees are reimbursed at 100% after any other sources of financial aid are applied.

See the Educational Reimbursement Plan for more detailed information regarding eligible expenses under Tuition Assistance.

Repayment Agreement:

As part of your application for Tuition Assistance, you must complete a Tuition Assistance Repayment Agreement, in which you agree to partially or totally repay any benefit you received if you voluntarily leave the Company within a certain period of time after the date you received reimbursement. The repayment agreement will be submitted and signed online.

Certification and Licensing (C&L)

Eligible C&L Programs include those through which an employee obtains a professional license or certification as a result of passing a uniform examination, such as the CPA.

To be approved under the Plan, a C&L Program must meet the following criteria:

  1. The certification or license must relate to the employee’s job function or career.
  2. The employee must incur expenses related to completing the program to obtain the certification or license and must not be reimbursed for these expenses in any other manner.

An employee may obtain a certification or license in more than one area.

Eligible Expenses:

The expenses related to obtaining a certification or license are eligible, but the expenses associated with maintaining it are not eligible.

The following expenses are eligible for reimbursement when an employee is pursuing a professional certification or license:

  1. Examination Fees. Employees will be reimbursed the cost of sitting for an exam related to a specific certification or license. No more than two sittings of the examination are eligible. If a second sitting is necessary and a review course has not already been submitted for reimbursement, it is recommended an approved review course be completed prior to the second exam sitting.
    1. If a series of examinations is required to obtain a certification or license, two sittings are permitted for each examination in the series.
    2. Other expenses associated with sitting for an exam are also eligible. For example, fees for a background check, an application fee, and/or an exam sitting fee required to take the exam are eligible for reimbursement.
  2. Expenses Associated with a Review Course. Employees will be reimbursed for the cost of one review course, provided they qualify for and sit for the examination. (i.e., review course for the CPA Exam)
    1. The review course is at the choice of the employee; however, the course must be approved by the employee’s Manager/Supervisor in advance and must be specific to the certification or licensing exam being taken.
    2. Books, materials, and fees required as a part of the review course, including online or electronic review courses or materials, are also eligible for reimbursement.
  3. The expenses related to the review course cannot be submitted until the employee sits for the exam, unless the employee is prevented from completing the course or from taking the exam because of a transfer, temporary relocation, change in work schedule, or a significant increase in workload. In that case, the expenses may still be eligible as determined by the employee’s Manager/Supervisor.

See the Educational Reimbursement Plan for more detailed information regarding eligible expenses under C&L Assistance.

How the Process Works

All applications other than coursework in an approved Degree Program require approval by your direct manager and HRBP. When you submit your Degree Program Request, Invdividual Coursework, or C&L application online, an email will be sent informing them that the request has been submitted. The email prompts them to access the online system and approve or deny your request. Edcor will perform a final check on the application to ensure it meets the criteria define in the Educational Reimbursement Policy and will send a final disposition to you.

Where to Go for Assistance

Tools and resources for the educational reimbursement process can be found under the Educational Reimbursement section on www.myMPCbenefits.com or in Workday. For questions regarding the program or assistance with the online process, please create a case in Workday Help.

Where to Find Educational Reimbursement Plan Document

Go to www.myMPCbenefits.com or the Plan may be viewed in its entirety by clicking here.

No portion of this benefits summary is intended to change the terms of the plans and policies, or the official texts that control them. If there is any inconsistency between this summary and the official texts of the plans and policies, the official texts will prevail.

Updated 06/2023