Removing a Dependent (Divorce/Legal Separation, Loss of Eligibility, etc.)
- Eligible Dependents
- Your Legally Married Spouse
- Your Common Law Spouse
- Your Domestic Partner (please see the tip sheet for adding your Domestic Partner)
- Your children including:
- Natural children of the first degree
- Legally adopted children and children placed with you for adoption
- Children whose parents are both deceased for whom you have legal custody as determined by a court of competent jurisdiction
- Your Domestic Partner's children
- How to request a change (within 31 days, including the date of the event)
Log into BenefitSolver by visiting www.myMPCbenefits.com/mybenefits.
Logging into BenefitSolver Instructions
- Click on the Change My Benefits box.
- Click on the Life Event box.
- Choose the appropriate life event and proceed through the screens to complete the benefit change.
- Documentation Required (within 31 days, including the date of the event)
- Divorce: A copy of the pages of the divorce decree that include names and the final date stamp.
- Legal Separation: Documentation provide by an attorney or court that include names and the date.
Documentation must be provided within 31 days, including the date of the event.
- Allowable Changes (within 31 days, including the date of the event)
- All coverage for the ex-spouse and stepchildren end on the date the divorce is final.
- In the event of a legal separation, an employee may change benefit coverage but is not required to do so. A copy of your legal separation papers is required to drop the spouse from coverage (also see COBRA* coverage below).
- If the employee is losing coverage under the ex-spouse, they may enroll in medical, dental and/or vision coverage.
- Employees may enroll or increase their current election in the Optional Life and/or Optional AD&D plans. Please see the Life Insurance page for more information.
- An employee may enroll in or increase the FSA election if losing enrollment in an FSA plan covered by ex-spouse. Please note that at least one payroll cycle must remain in the year for changes to be completed.
- NOTE ABOUT DEADLINE FOR REMOVING DEPENDENTS
If you miss the 31-day deadline, your benefit coverage level could be affected due to the rules of the 125 Plan — which is governed by the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, not by Marathon Petroleum. For instance, if you did not notify us of your divorce within 31 days, you cannot change your coverage level. You will continue to pay for Employee + Spouse or Family coverage until Annual Enrollment even though your ex-spouse would not have coverage.
- COBRA Coverage
- Continuation of coverage in the health plans will be offered to your eligible dependents, provided they were covered by the plans at the time of the qualifying event (if the Company is notified within 31 days of the date of the event).
- Additional COBRA information can be found here.
*Note: A legal separation is NOT considered a qualifying event for the purposes of COBRA eligibility for your spouse (and, if applicable, stepchildren).
- Thrift Plan
- Employees or other parties requesting information regarding a Thrift QDRO should visit Fidelity’s website at https://qdro.fidelity.com. After logging in, or creating a new membership, and following the prompts, "Marathon Petroleum" should be entered as the Employer Name. You will then be able to access FAQs and written guidelines/procedures for creating a Domestic Relations Order that can be submitted for qualification. Questions regarding these procedures can be answered by calling Fidelity at 1-866-602-0595.
- To update beneficiary information for the Thrift Plan, log on to your account at www.netbenefits.com/marathonpetroleum. Click the "Your Profile" tab and then "Beneficiaries." After you have used the online tool to designate your beneficiaries, you can view or change your designations online at any time.
- If you prefer to use a paper form to designate your beneficiaries, request the form by calling Fidelity at 1-866-602-0595.
- Retirement Plan
- Employees or other parties requesting information regarding a Retirement QDRO should visit Fidelity’s website at https://qdro.fidelity.com. After logging in, or creating a new membership, and following the prompts, "Marathon Petroleum" should be entered as the Employer Name. You will then be able to access FAQs and written guidelines/procedures for creating a Domestic Relations Order that can be submitted for qualification. Questions regarding these procedures can be answered by calling Fidelity at 1-866-602-0595.
- Where to Go for Assistance
Active Employees: Did you know employees can now find answers to their Benefits/HR related questions immediately, within Workday? Visit Workday and enter your topic within the search bar at the top of the Workday screen to view related articles.
Can’t find your answer within an article? Workday also provides opportunities for employees to obtain answers by creating cases that are assigned to subject matter experts within MPC, to help answer your questions. To create a case, visit Workday and type “create a case” in the Workday search bar.
Retirees/Non Employees: For questions please email Benefits@MarathonPetroleum.com or call 1-888-421-2199, Option 1, then Option 3.
- Where to Find Plan Documents
Go to www.myMPCbenefits.com and click on “Notices & Plan Documents."
No portion of this benefits summary is intended to change the terms of the plans and policies, or the official texts that control them. If there is any inconsistency between this summary and the official texts of the plans and policies, the official texts will prevail.